Joomla 4 Is On The Horizon
What’s new in Joomla 4?
We are firmly committed to making the next generation of Joomla the best. Joomla 4 will provide simplicity and a better user experience while also being a more powerful system for developers.
Here is a short list of Joomla 4 key features and benefits we intend to implement:
- Install Joomla in the blink of an eye. An easier, faster and more user friendly install process
- Brand new User Interfaces (backend and frontend) to provide a new and improved experience
- The web is for all. We aim to ensure that the templates are accessible (Level AA of WCAG 2.1)
- A fully rebuilt Media Manager with a cleaner User Interface and new image editing capabilities
- A new Publishing Workflow to manage your articles in an advanced and customisable way
- Web Services to allow you to make your content accessible to other websites and for easy mobile app creation
- New security features such as support for prepared SQL statements
- HTML Mail Templates to allow easy customisation of the emails your site sends
- An improved and expanded Command Line Interface (CLI)
- A cleaner and more powerful codebase. With the removal of deprecated functions from Joomla 3.x and the use of PHP namespaces that allows developers to deliver more robust and innovative applications than ever before
- The power of the Joomla Framework merged into the CMS
- An enhanced event dispatching system
- And much more!
When is the final release due?
Joomla 4 is being actively developed but we need more volunteers. We intend to publish one pre-release every 6 weeks and share the progress with the community.
We would like to remind our users that Joomla 4.0 stable is not expected before early 2020. We are intending this Alpha release to be the last alpha of Joomla 4 and to present Joomla 4 Beta 1 in early November 2019.
The most up-to-date information regarding the timeline will be found in our project roadmap.
You can join the testing and reporting to help ensure a solid, timely delivery (see “How can you help…” above).
Where can I find documentation about Joomla 4?
We have started to provide some tutorials to help you with Joomla 4. We’ll be writing more tutorials to help you understand the major changes of Joomla 4. You can find the existing ones, like how to create a Plugin or a Module for Joomla 4, namespaces conventions, prepared statements, using the new web asset classes and many more here.
We encourage developers to help in writing the documentation about Joomla 4 on docs.joomla.org to help and guide users as well as other extension developers.
A JDocs page will help developers to see the existing documentation and the documentation still needed.
We invite you to check it regularly, update it and provide the missing content: https://docs.joomla.org/JDOC:Joomla_4_Tutorials_Project
Most of the feature documentation will be needed once we have reached Beta (feature freeze).
Should I plan to upgrade to Joomla 4.0?
Joomla 4.0 will be Joomla’s next major version.
Joomla 3.10 will be released alongside Joomla 4 as the last minor release of Joomla 3 (see this article).
Joomla 3.10 will continue to be supported for 2 years giving you plenty of time to plan your migration to Joomla 4 and update your extensions (if required) to become Joomla 4 compatible versions. We will provide resources to help with the migration on the documentation site.
Technical requirements for Joomla 4
As announced with Alpha 10 we would like to inform our users that we increased the minimum technical requirements for Joomla 4:
- PHP 7.2
- MySQL 5.6 (Note: The minimum MySQL version can be subject to change during the lifetime of Joomla 4 if necessary)
- PostgreSQL 11.0
- Minimum browser version set to n-2
- End of support of Internet Explorer
For more information on why these requirements were chosen please read this blog post
If you are an extension developer, please make sure you subscribe to the general developer mailing list, where you can discuss extension development. News that may affect custom development will also be posted there from time to time.
- Working with the Joomla Feature Tracker
- General developer mailing list
- Joomla developer network
- Joomla 4 compatibility layer
- Joomla and UI framework